More bad news for Teresa and Joe Giudice. Authorities have told NJ.com that the couple now has two new charges that have been added by the federal government. The charges are bank fraud and loan application fraud and they will be added to the previously 39-count indictment that was filed against them. They are alleging that Teresa lied about her income and employment situation on a mortgage loan application. Joe is also accused of not reporting about $1 million of income to the IRS between 2004 and 2008.
There is a mortgage-loan application filed by the couple, and it falsely lists Teresa’s occupation as a “real estate agent,” and her monthly salary is stated as being $15,000 when actually, she was unemployed. Prosecutors also state that the Giudices received around $4.6 million in mortgages, withdrawals from home equity lines of credit, and construction loans.
The Giudices pleaded not guilty on all previous counts in July, and that will remain their plan moving forward, according to their attorneys.
Teresa’s Lawyer, Henry Klingeman said in a statement,
“As she did with respect to the allegations contained in the original indictment, Teresa intends to plead ‘not guilty’ to the allegations in the new indictment.” He added, “She looks forward to defending herself at the trial, scheduled for Feb. 24, 2014. Beyond that, we will answer all of the charges in court, not out.”
Joe’s attorney, Miles Feinstein, commented on the now 41-count indictment saying,
“Our position is that it’s really piling on.”
Thoughts on the recent charges?