RHOBH star Lisa Vanderpump spoke to the Daily Beast to answer if she will be returning next season and reveals why she actually started warming up to ‘friend of the housewife’ Brandi Glanville. Lisa also talks Cedric, Kim Richards and answers if she believes that Russell actually abused Taylor.
1. What’s up with the talk that you may get her own spin-off show, and that you might not be returning to RHOBH next season?
“Am I coming back? Look, let’s be honest. The season hasn’t even been picked up yet. Of course, with the staggering, the phenomenal, ratings, I’m sure it will be, but who knows? It has not been picked up. And the day it is picked up, if they ask me, I will consider.” (Read: She’s totally coming back.)
2. What would be a spin-off focus on?
“My sex life. My sordid sex life.” (O.K., funny. But not helping us here. Whispers are that the show, if it happens, would not, however, focus on Vanderpump’s home life, in or out of the bedroom.)
3. Kim Richards. Clearly she has a problem that goes beyond being late all the time to Kyle’s functions. What’s your take on her situation, and isn’t it reckless, even dangerous, to have someone in that condition on a reality TV show?
“I think that last episode we saw”—when Kim was crawling around on the bathroom when she should have been getting ready for the SUR party—“I thought, ‘OK, there’s something going on here.’ But to be really honest, I really didn’t know what position she was in. I knew she’d had a history [of substance abuse]. She wasn’t in the show that much. She wasn’t integrated with us. It’s often difficult for the viewer because they don’t understand that things they’ve seen, we haven’t seen until it airs. So I really hadn’t seen her or been around her, maybe just three or four times.”
3. Early on you—along with many of the other ladies—were skeptical about Taylor’s claims of abuse. Where do you stand now? Do you believe she was physically hurt by Russell?
“A hundred percent, yes, I do. And I’m so glad that we managed to turn this around, because when this happened I wanted to be there to support her, and it would have been very difficult if we had been at odds with each other, so thank God for that. We were in a good place, so we were able to support her, and I think all the women have. I think when something as tragic as that happens, you have to put your differences aside, and my heart goes out to the family.”
4. How did Cedric, your former close friend and current tormentor, get into the SUR party?
“He just got in and walked through the door. Look, we’re filming a reality show. If the occasion arises where there’s going to be something confrontational and it’s real… I didn’t know it was coming. Did I want him to come? Of course not… But I’m done with him. I’ve moved on.”
5. Even though she was all over your husband, you were the first housewife to stick up for Brandi, who was more or less pummeled by everyone for the first several episodes. What won you over?
“What happened was, and it was off-camera—we went to Hawaii, and I thought, I actually quite like her. She made me laugh. And I thought, ‘Wow, this is quite a refreshing woman.’ I hadn’t seen what had gone down at Game Night—” when she, perhaps rightly, accused Kim Richards of being a drug addict and said “I will kill you!” to the Richards sisters after they attacked her parenting, “but I liked her. But it was really, I saw a dog—and dogs are my passion—that was going to be destroyed. And I said, ‘Oh, God, I can’t have another dog [die]. My dog just died, Bookie.’ And she said, ‘I’ll take it.’ And I said, ‘Why?’ She said, ‘It’s cute, and I could give a dog a home.’ And I thought, I love this woman. The cameras weren’t on at the time… It totally changed my perception. So slowly we just became friendly. Do I think she’s blunt and says some things? Yes. If I could take a half-dozen words out of her vocabulary? Yeah. If I could wash her mouth out with soap? Yeah. But do I like her? Yes, I do.”